Monday 8 March 2010

How I shot a Blues-master in London: Joe Bonamassa


After all these years of shooting rock stars, it never surprises me when I get a few flutters of pre-shoot nerves. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t get star struck or flap, but it’s nice to know the excitement is there no matter who I photograph.

This was the case with Joe Bonamassa. As you may or may not know, Joe is a very talented blues guitarist, hailed as the new King of Blues - his mind-blowing guitar wizardry and electrifying stage presence has helped sell to out his
tour and the recent gig at The Albert Hall.

It’s good to know when I’m booked for a job, the client trusts me to do a great job and get the right shots. So without exception, before every shoot I always check my gear, charge up the batteries, and clean my lenses. Sounds obvious - but important, nonetheless. Another important point is to plan the journey and to factor in the time. Even with a sat nav, London traffic is a challenge.

Technical challenges aside, Time is always the biggest issue. How long do you need for a shoot…well, how long have you got? This is one of my first questions. Sometimes, I only have a few minutes to do the shoot: adrenaline and years of experience kick in, helping to create the right mood, set the lights and get the images in the bag. I have to get the shot as they will leave, whether I’ve met the Brief or not.


I love working for Guitarist Magazine, they’re great bunch and know their stuff. For this issue Guitarist is running a meet-and-greet for some lucky readers with the guitarist Joe Bonamassa. Why not check it out – the shoot was fantastic.
Issue 328 on sale 13th April

No comments:

Post a Comment