Wednesday 7 July 2010

Creative inputs


No company can survive without some kind of creative input, whether you source yours from within or without. It’s the lifeblood of any company - particularly in the creative industries.

Fortunately, I have a studio space which can be used to workout experiments and stretch ideas. The best results from these exercises are when I work within a set of parameters or a brief, and inputs from other creatives.

I like to work with stylists, make-up artists and art directors, as they always have an idea or two up their sleeves, wanting to see the light of day.

I take my wisdom from wherever I find it, and if an idea comes to light that inspires me, I will make notes, do research, put together a mood board or a scrapbook of ideas, until I feel the idea is ready for action.

Creative input is very important for me and without it, my job would be a lonely one.

Finding inspiration can be tough without others to bounce ideas off. So, with this in mind, grab the iron whiles it’s hot and:

• Take your laptop and find a place you can hot desk with like-minded souls
• Take a coffee with someone you admire
• Assist someone who you find inspiring
• Attend workshops, this always help fire up my imagination
• Visit your local art gallery or see an awesome exhibit in another town
• Check out the magazine section in the newsagent and treat yourself to your favourite titles
• Buy an art book from your bookshop or if strapped for cash, join the library

No man is an island, an old saying - but true nonetheless. Get out there, find your mojo with the help of others, and set up your source of creative inputs. It really is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment